Live from ThunderDome!
Their blue counterparts have fans debating which of their big feuds should main event WrestleMania 37, but Raw is slow playing its hand…
– The Miz defends his WWE championship against Bobby Lashley tonight, in a match set-up when Miz made a deal with The Hurt Business to help ensure his Money in the Bank cash-in on Drew McIntyre at Elimination Chamber would be a success. Signs point toward a Lashley/McIntyre feud for ‘Mania, with Miz joining John Morrison in this year’s celebrity feud against Bad Bunny & Damian Priest. But even if that’s the direction, it could be weeks before it’s confirmed.
– She’s been second (or third, or fourth) fiddle in the division for so long that Raw Women’s titleholder Asuka doesn’t currently have a challenger. There’s a ready-made option in Charlotte Flair, and the Lacey Evans’ pregnancy news frees Flair up. Raw can afford to take some time setting that up, and considering/teasing some other options, like a debuting Rhea Ripley, or Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler, who’ve had both the Empress & the Queen’s numbers.
– All Bray Wyatt & Alexa Bliss’ fire, and vomit, and hoodoo is leading to a Randy Orton match. Will it happen in the ring at Raymond James Stadium? On the big screen? A mix of both? Against The Fiend, his friend, or both?
– Seeds continue to be planted for a Shane McMahon/Braun Strowman. Or one seed, with Shane O’Mac making the Monster Among Men work to earn a title shot he feels he’s owed.
– Were the rumors about John Cena and Goldberg complete bs?
Point is, we have questions. And they don’t feel like they’re due to WWE not knowing what they’re doing, either. They’re reasons to tune in on Monday night for the next month and a half… or at least keep tabs on the show via YouTube and sites like ours. And in a story that never ends, as DDP would say, that’s not a bad thing – it’s a good thing.
The title scene
The remaining belts are also up in the air, but these have more of “WWE not knowing what they’re doing” vibe…
In the case of United States champ Riddle, that may be because they don’t know when Keith Lee will be back. We’ve heard little about the injury that took him out of the last PPV’s Triple Threat since that was announced.
The Hurt Business’ Raw Tag Team championship doesn’t feel like a priority, but that’s not surprise to anyone who’s watched WWE book tag wrestling since… forever. They beat recurring foils Lucha House Party again last week. Shelton Benjamin may still be unhappy with Cedric Alexander’s ego, but that hasn’t been played up as much recently as it was during their chase.
Jax & Baszler have a ways to go before they can make plans to walk into ‘Mania with the WWE Women’s Tag Team straps – namely confirmed defenses against Raw’s Lana & Naomi, and NXT’s Raquel González & Dakota Kai.
At least we’re two weeks and counting on Bad Bunny’s 24/7 champion reign. Dios es bueno.
Other stuff to keep an eye on
– Sheamus still wants his singles match against McIntyre, and the PPV coming up on Mar. 21 could be a good place to do that.
– Two big names not doing much are AJ Styles and Jeff Hardy. Maybe WWE can come up with a reason for them to fight?
– RETRIBUTION seem to be falling apart, which will free up The New Day… even if it leaves Xavier Woods bummed he won’t get to wrap up his best of five against RECKONING.
Three weeks until Fastlane!
What will you be looking for on Raw tonight?