Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio said WWE just decided on having Goldberg challenge Drew McIntyre for the WWE championship at Royal Rumble this past Saturday.
- Not surprisingly, they also say the McIntyre vs. Keith Lee match went too long and McIntyre was supposed to cut a promo that Goldberg would be responding to, and that’s why Goldberg’s promo didn’t make a lot of sense.
- PW Insider says the show was originally planned to open with Hulk Hogan cutting a promo in the ring but they changed it to the cold open they ultimately went with.
- They also say original plans called for Randy Orton vs. Jeff Hardy to main event the show but that was changed late in the day.
- Inside the Ropes notes that despite reports going around that Mickie James was quietly moved to the Legends side of the WWE roster, she’s still an active performer for the company and has been cleared to wrestle.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.